This talk was recorder at the 101th annual meeting American Association of Cancer Research in April 17-21, 2010 and now available as a webcast.
Some notes I took from his talk that I like:
– 2 theories (clonal evolution and cancer stem cells) are not mutually exclusive and likely act concurrently;
– cancer stem cell (CSC) are functionally definded by self-renewal, susteained proliferation and tumor initiation -propagation ability;
– CSC act not in cell autonomous manner;
– other proposed functional characteristics of CSC â€“ invasion-metastasis, immune evasion, relationship to niche, angiogenesis;
– cell lines fail to replicate original heterogeneity.